Happy Valentine’s Day, dear friends! 💘
This super simple 3 ingredient strawberry sauce can be made within minutes, elevating your treats to something a little extra special! It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. Woohoo!
Oh, beautiful, glorious strawberries, how you have such a special place in my heart. Strawberries are absolutely, positively my favourite fruit. There is no other. Bar none.
So why do I love them so much? Honestly, where to even begin? Strawberries are naturally lovely, sweet, slightly tart, juicy, and just so beautiful with their radiant red hue. They are so versatile they can be eaten as a snack, added to a salad, cereal, dessert; the possibilities are endless.
Now, take this beautiful ruby red fruit, and cook it up, and it transforms into something completely different. It takes this fruit that can sometimes slightly tart, and sweetens it up more. It becomes a luxurious glossy sauce that can make anything feel more fancy and decandant! It is also free of additives and loads of sugar that can be found in store-bought strawberry sauces or jams, so a much easier and healthier choice!
• ICE CREAM: Looking to create an ice cream sundae? This strawberry sauce is perfect and added bonus it is not loaded with tons of sugar as traditional strawberry sauces have!
• CAKE: It is great for taking your cake to next level, by topping of the cake, or even in the middle as a filling! It is great for Strawberry Shortcakes, yum!
• YOGURT: Taking your yogurts to new heights. No need for those store-bought fruit yogurts loaded with additives and sugar, just dollop some of this sauce for strawberries and yogurt delight!
• CHEESECAKE: Take some of this sauce. Just add on top of some cheesecake and you now got yourself a Strawberry Cheesecake, just as simple as that!
• STRAWBERRIES – is jam-packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, which is great for your immune system.
• LEMON JUICE – is filled with rays of the sunshine vitamin C and is immune-boosting.
• HONEY – is rich in antioxidants and antibacterial that can help fight infections.
I think that’s enough talking about this Simple Strawberry Sauce. Let’s make some, let’s go!
Simple Strawberry Sauce
- 2-2½ cups fresh strawberries (or frozen)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp honey* (or maple syrup for vegan-friendly)
- cutting board
- paring knife
- medium bowl
- Wash, hull, and cut the fresh strawberries into small bite-size pieces. Set aside. Wash, and juice the lemon. Set aside.
Strawberry Sauce - Version 1
- Heat saucepan on medium. Once heated up, add lemon juice and honey until it dissolves.
- Once the lemon and honey mixture starts to create small bubbles, it’s time to add the strawberries. Turn down the heat to medium-low, and keep mixing periodically to ensure it doesn’t burn. The mixture may froth but that is totally normal and will settle.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, the mixture will start to turn glossy and the fruits should be almost turning into a jam-like texture, when you see that, it is time to cut the heat. If using frozen strawberries, it will take another 3-5 minutes.
- Once cooled strain the sauce. Reserve the strawberry jam for things like pancakes, filling for cakes, or cheesecakes. With the remaining sauce, you have a few options. You can enjoy it as it is and it's great mixed in with yogurt. But if you are looking for a Strawberry Syrup you can do that too.
- Let it cool until it comes to room temperature, transfer to a jar or bowl and your sauce is ready to enjoy!
- Add the strained sauce, add back to the saucepan, and simmer on medium-low for another 5-10 minutes, until it thickens to a syrup consistency. Stir constantly to avoid burning. You will notice the colour starts to deepen to a deeper red. The sauce will become thick enough that it will have a slower drip off your spoon similar to a thick caramel. Cook until the consistency you desire, 5-10 minutes and then cut the heat, you now have Strawberry Syrup.
Strawberry Sauce - Version 2
- Now if you prefer a sauce without the fruit pulp at all you can blend the strawberries first. Then cook them down just the same as the above Strawberry Sauce steps. It will become a thick, luscious sauce.