Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays lovelies! 🎄❤️✨❄️
Indulge in the delightful flavours of the season with this easy-to-make Simple Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark. A festive treat that requires only a handful of ingredients, these minty delights can be whipped up in no time. Whether you crave a quick and delicious snack for yourself or are looking for a lovely edible gift for friends and family, this recipe has you covered.
It’s that time of year for fun holiday recipes, and while I do love baking for the holidays, I also love quick and easy no-bake recipes that allow you more time to enjoy the season. The bonus with this particular recipe is that it works double time, also being a potential edible gift for loved ones.
And when I say this recipe is easy, I mean it is REALLY easy. All you have to do is melt the chocolate and crush the candy canes (which also acts like an excellent stress buster, by the way, which can be needed during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, so you’re welcome ;)). Lastly, mix everything and sprinkle some extra crushed candy canes on top to pretty them up for a fun festive flair, then let them set, and you are done! I mean, can it get any easier?!
If you have fond memories of savouring candy canes during your childhood, this recipe is sure to evoke a sense of nostalgia. Growing up, I adored the wintry coolness of candy canes, which seemed to mirror the winter wonderland depicted in my favourite Christmas movies and the snowy landscape right outside my house in Canada. As a kid, candy canes felt like snowflakes in candy form—magical.
• Vegan • Gluten-free • Dairy-free
• An easy stress-free holiday recipe (great for making with kiddies)
• No bake recipe (that can be made ahead of time)
• Makes a wonderful edible gift for loved ones
While enjoying candy canes on their own is delightful, there’s only so many you can eat. That’s where this recipe comes in, offering a fun and delicious way to make the most of these beloved holiday candies. And what takes it to the next level? Dark chocolate. The pairing of mint and chocolate is truly extraordinary. The deep, rich dark chocolate intensifies the minty notes of the candy canes, creating a dynamic flavour combination that is nothing short of refreshing.
Embrace the magic of childhood with this delightful dark chocolate peppermint bark; it will surely put a smile on your face. Plus, it’s a fantastic recipe to make with kids, getting them involved and creating new magical memories.
• DAIRY-FREE DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS – are rich in cocoa that is high in and is also dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan and uses minimally processed cane sugar for a healthier alternative to white sugar.
• COCONUT OIL – has anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties and can also boost energy levels and metabolic rate as well.
• SEA SALT – contains many healthy essential minerals such as sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
So let’s get the holiday festivities underway and make some delightful Simple Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark, shall we?
Simple Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- medium stainless steel bowl (or heatproof glass bowl)
- small saucepan
- silicone spatula (large metal spoon)
- parchment paper ( or a silpat mat)
- baking tray
- meat mallet (or rolling pin)
- freezer zip lock bags
- kitchen towels
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- 2 cups dairy-free dark bittersweet chocolate chips (or 2 bars of dairy-free dark chocolate)
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup crushed candy canes (half a box)
- 2 tbsp crushed candy canes, for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- Line a baking tray with a silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the candy canes to a zip lock bag and place them on a sturdy surface with a kitchen towel underneath. Use a small meat mallet or rolling pin and go to town crushing the candy canes (an excellent stress reliever, for the holiday season) until they break down into small pieces. But not too much as you don’t want to turn it into dust unless you prefer it that way, that’s fine too! Put aside 2 tbsp of the crushed candy canes to sprinkle over top the bark later and set aside the rest.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips using the double boiler method or in the microwave in increments until everything is melted down. If you like things extra minty you can add in ½ tsp of peppermint extract to intensify the minty goodness. For the full steps of the double boiler method, please refer to my recipe here, where I provide a detailed process. Once the dark chocolate chips have melted down to a nice, smooth consistency, set aside.
- Add the crushed candy canes to the melted chocolate and mix everything together until everything is well combined.
- Transfer to the baking tray and smooth the bark nice and evenly, to your desired thickness. Sprinkle over the reserved crushed candy canes. Give the peppermint bark a gentle shake to help it set. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove and break the bark into pieces. If you are removing from the freezer let it come up to room temperature for 10-15 minutes and then break into pieces. Now all that’s left to do is devour your chocolate peppermint bark. Enjoy!