Happy St.Patrick’s Day! ☘️
Celebrate with this refreshing Shamrock green smoothie! Brimming with greens, fresh fruit, and coconut water. This revitalizing smoothie will brighten up your day and leave you feeling like a pot of gold.
So I know you have probably seen a million and one smoothie recipes, so what sets this one apart from the others and why should you give it a try? Well, to that I’d say, it’s well balanced and foolproof, so why not?! It is packed with greens, beautiful fresh fruits, all with their own nutritional benefits. I believe every smoothie recipe has its own unique taste and appeal so why not give this one a try. Who knows, maybe it will be your new favourite. And if you are not really a fan of smoothies, I think this might be the one to change your mind and turn you into a smoothie lover.
This is the first smoothie recipe I ever created and is still my go-to smoothie recipe to this day. I have always struggled with consuming fruits during the course of the day but when I created this recipe it was a game-changer. I was able to consume so many beneficial fruits, greens, and coconut water in one go. It was quite a revelation.
So what’s to love about this smoothie?
• It’s incredibly easy to make! Just toss all the ingredients into the blender, give it a whirl, pour, and you’ve got yourself a cup full of green goodness.
• Portable so it can be consumed on the go, while at work or post-workout for an incredible energy boost.
• It’s a great way to sneak more greens into your diet and knock out a few of your fruits while you’re at it. I call it a win-win.
The thing I love most about this smoothie is the way it makes me feel. I truly feel a difference in my body within minutes of drinking it. It’s like a surge of energy coursing through my body. It’s such an invigorating feeling.
Upon first glance, you may think that the spinach is the star of the show with its beautiful green hue. However, the key to the whole composition of this smoothie is the coconut water. And why is that? Firstly, it elevates the flavour and helps it all come together. Secondly, and the real secret behind this magical ingredient is a fun fact, I learned from my ‘little’ cousin, who is a bright and budding Nutritionist. The coconut water actually helps absorb the nutrients from the fruits! My mind was blown! I had only been using it for its refreshing quality and had no clue it was also helping with absorbing nutrients.
• SPINACH – a superfood that is packed with vitamins and minerals and a great source of iron and magnesium which is great for boosting energy levels.
• GREEN APPLE – is high in fibre which is great for increasing your metabolism and is loaded with vitamins A, C, and K plus it has properties that are beneficial for your skin.
• COCONUT WATER – is the water found in young coconuts. It is an excellent source of potassium and known as a natural sports drink due to its high content of electrolytes which is great for hydrating and replenishing your body.
• STRAWBERRIES – has an abundance of antioxidants and is high in vitamin C (even more than oranges!) which is great for your immune health.
Give this Shamrock green smoothie a go and see where it takes you! Who knows maybe it will bring you some luck and a pot of gold too! Shall we give it a whirl and see? 😉
Shamrock Green Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh spinach, organic
- 4-5 fresh strawberries*, organic (or frozen)
- 1 small green Granny Smith apple, organic (or any other apple of choice)
- ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups coconut water
- cutting board
- measuring spoons and cups
- straws (optional)
- glasses or mason jar mug (any glass of your choice)
- Wash the spinach, and set aside. Wash strawberries, cut the top stems off and cut into bite-size pieces, and set aside. If using frozen just place it in a bowl and set it aside.
- Wash the apple, cut it into bite-size pieces, and set aside. If not using organic, remove the skin before cutting.
- Wash the lemon well, roll on the cutting board a couple of times with your palm. This is a great trick to get extra juice. Cut in half, squeeze into a bowl, and set aside.
- Add fruits, lemon juice, and coconut water into the blender and whirl it up until it is nice and smooth. Now it's time to add the spinach and give it another whirl. Continue blending until it's nice and smooth, and you're done! Pour into your fave glass and enjoy!