This Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce is a show-stopper! With only 4 all-natural ingredients, it takes just 10 minutes to whip up this luscious, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and refined sugar-free sauce! It’s super versatile to use on various sweet treats and elevates them to next-level decadence!
I have always loved caramel sauce. The creamy, velvety texture is just so heavenly. I love how it appears so simple yet has such a complex flavour that can transform your treats into something extra special without much effort.
When I changed my diet years ago and had to forgo dairy, it was challenging not being able to have caramel sauce anymore. However, I was determined to create my own dairy-free version, and let me tell you, it was no easy feat. I experimented for quite some time and tried various iterations until this sauce was finally born, and oh my, was it worth the wait! It is caramel-y perfection, and I promise you will not miss traditional caramel sauce one bit once you try this! It’s just as good, if not better!
• Quick and easy to make
• Rich, creamy, and decadent
• Gluten-free • Refined sugar-free
• Dairy-free • Vegan • Paleo
• Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar
• Countless ways to use it to create different sweet treats
Aside from being delicious, the beauty of this caramel sauce is it uses just 4 all-natural ingredients. The richness of coconut cream lends itself beautifully in creating a smooth, creamy textured sauce and replaces the loads of heavy cream and butter that you’d find in traditional caramel. I love the combination of maple syrup and coconut sugar as it balances out the sometimes bold taste of coconut sugar alone. The maple syrup also enhances the sweet, caramelized notes and plays nicely with both the vanilla and coconut cream for a harmonious depth of flavour.
The best part of this Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce is its easy use in so many treats! Though this recipe is magical all year round, I thought Halloween would be the perfect time to share this versatile recipe so you can use it in countless ways for all your spooktacular treats!
• CHOCOLATE TREATS: If you’re looking to create homemade chocolate treats to echo childhood classics like caramel chocolate, this sauce will do just the trick!
• POPCORN: Caramel popcorn is a fun snack that gives you salty and sweet! Mix this sauce with freshly popped corn and bake to create your own homemade caramel popcorn!
• FRUIT: No need to bake to enjoy this sauce. Just cut up some of your favourite fruits and dunk them in for a simple and delicious dessert!
• CAKE/CUPCAKES: This sauce is fantastic for taking your cake/cupcakes to the next level! Drizzle on top of your cake/cupcakes or even in the middle as a filling! If you want to take it up another notch, add to your frosting for Caramel Frosting!
• BROWNIES: Dot the batter with the caramel sauce to create some Caramel Brownies, and swirl a little on top for little extra caramel-y goodness!
• COCONUT CREAM – a thicker form of coconut milk that is rich in potassium and a great source of vitamins and minerals.
• COCONUT SUGAR – has a low glycemic index and contains antioxidants, electrolytes, minerals, nitrogen, and vitamin C.
• MAPLE SYRUP – has high anti-inflammatory properties and is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Let’s take your sweet treats to the next level and make some luscious, Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce!
Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk*)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or any other refined sugar-free sweetener)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup (or any other refined sugar-free sweetener)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- small knob of vegan butter (optional)
- small saucepan (or small pot)
- silicone spatula (or whisk)
- measuring cups and spoons
Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Add coconut sugar and maple syrup into a small saucepan or pot on medium-low heat. Mix until it dissolves, 3-4 minutes.
- Once the mixture starts to bubble, gently add in the coconut cream until it dissolves completely and is well combined.
- Bring the heat to medium until the mixture bubbles, on a steady gentle simmer. If you see it begin to bubble rapidly, lower the heat. Keep a close eye on it and constantly stir it to prevent burning. Be patient and loving with it. It takes some time, but it’s totally worth it!
- After 10 minutes, the sauce should have thickened yet still light and runny. Remove from the heat, add in the vanilla extract and give it one final mix. Your sauce is now ready to enjoy in countless ways, woohoo! You can enjoy the sauce straight away or let it cool down and let it thicken more. Feel free to have a spoonful of the sauce (just for taste test purposes, of course 😉)
- If you want a thicker caramel sauce similar to dulce de leche, continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until you reach your desired consistency. You will notice the texture change dramatically to a dark, amber coloured, thick and luscious sauce! As previously mentioned, it will thicken more after it cools, so please keep that in mind.